Subject: bug#42806: [PATCH 1/1] Parse whole buffer of compilation output at once

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 10:56:19 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> * lisp/progmodes/compile.el (compilation-next-single-property-change):
>> Parse whole buffer at once.
>>
>> Remove the comment that mentioned that it is an option to do it in one
>> go as we now actually start doing.  As the existence of that comment
>> suggested, there is not really a reason to process the buffer in small
>> chunks.  On the contrary, processing the output in arbitrary units can
>> result in certain constructs not being recognized because they begin
>> in one arbitrary chunk, while ending in another.
>
> Makes sense to me, but I wonder what the reason for this
> 500-chars-at-a-time parsing was in the first place.
>
> I guess we'll find out if it breaks something, and should be ready to
> revert.  :-)

I suspect it would be to avoid long pauses if there is a lot of output
from the subprocess at once.