Subject: bug#42806: [PATCH 1/1] Parse whole buffer of compilation output at once

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 16:19:08 +0200

Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:

> * lisp/progmodes/compile.el (compilation-next-single-property-change):
> Parse whole buffer at once.
>
> Remove the comment that mentioned that it is an option to do it in one
> go as we now actually start doing.  As the existence of that comment
> suggested, there is not really a reason to process the buffer in small
> chunks.  On the contrary, processing the output in arbitrary units can
> result in certain constructs not being recognized because they begin
> in one arbitrary chunk, while ending in another.

Makes sense to me, but I wonder what the reason for this
500-chars-at-a-time parsing was in the first place.

I guess we'll find out if it breaks something, and should be ready to
revert.  :-)

So I've applied this to Emacs 28.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no