Subject: Re: Linux-libre 5.8 and beyond

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 18:46:01 -0400

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:46:34PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> If we're going to prefix "linux-libre-" to the name, which I agree is a
> good idea, maybe we should add the same prefix to the other 'deblob'
> script, for consistency.  Also for consistency, I think the version
> number should be at the end, after "deblob-check", as is the case for
> the other deblob script.
>
> There's also the question of whether the micro version number should be
> included in the file name.  In practice, these deblob scripts almost
> never change from one micro version to the next.  Also, I suspect
> (although I've not yet confirmed it) that these deblob scripts likely
> work for older kernels in the same stable series.
> 
> For those reasons, at present the micro version number appears only in
> the URLs, and not in either the file names or in the version number as
> recorded in the first element of the triplet returned by
> 'linux-libre-deblob-scripts'.  I'd personally be inclined to keep it
> that way, although I don't feel strongly about it.

Good ideas. I've taken them into account on my local branch while I test
building the final tarballs. I'll push to the kernel-updates branch once
I am satisfied with the result.

Thanks for your feedback!