Subject: bug#42788: [PATCH] Remove outdated comment on Myanmar / Burma

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 15:51:52 -0700

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

There is a comment in Emacs which describes Aung San Suu Kyi in a
positive light as compared to the "murderous generals" of the country.
This comment was added in 2008.

However, after the victory of her party in 2015, Aung San Suu Kyi, has
herself been implicated in murderous activities against and persecution
of the Rohingya Muslim minority.

In January this year, Myanmar was ordered to take "all measures within
its power" to prevent genocide of the Rohingya minority by the
International Court of Justice in Hauge.  The BBC reports:

    "This judgment has surely obliterated any remnants of Aung San Suu
    Kyi's international reputation.

    Remember, she didn't have to go to The Hague and become the
    embodiment of Myanmar's defence. She chose to argue, in person,
    there was no mass murder, rape or arson.

    Even her biggest critics used to acknowledge she doesn't control the
    still powerful Burmese army, but now she has destroyed the firewall
    between her and the generals by trying - and failing - to justify
    their actions.

    So far, Myanmar has played by the rules of the International Court
    of Justice. But will it abide by these emergency measures?

    Writing today in a British newspaper, Aung San Suu Kyi questioned
    whether the international justice system was capable of ignoring
    'unsubstantiated narratives' told by human rights groups and UN
    investigators against her country."

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51221029

I propose to remove any references to this individual from Emacs.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas
From 32776be848eed920d8010afa54b5834d51d90b0b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 00:22:51 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Remove comment on Burma / Myanmar

* lisp/language/burmese.el: Remove comment on Burma / Myanmar.
---
 lisp/language/burmese.el | 6 +-----
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/language/burmese.el b/lisp/language/burmese.el
index 7f2a99a41a..80985c4fb8 100644
--- a/lisp/language/burmese.el
+++ b/lisp/language/burmese.el
@@ -4,7 +4,7 @@
 ;;   National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
 ;;   Registration Number H13PRO009
 
-;; Keywords: multilingual, Burma, i18n
+;; Keywords: multilingual, Burma, Myanmar, i18n
 
 ;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.
 
@@ -23,10 +23,6 @@
 
 ;;; Commentary:
 
-;; Aung San Suu Kyi says to call her country "Burma".
-;; The murderous generals say to call it "Myanmar".
-;; We will call it "Burma". -- rms, Chief GNUisance.
-
 ;;; Code:
 
 (set-language-info-alist
-- 
2.28.0