Subject: bug#42777: 28.0.50; Obsolete eldoc-message function used in CEDET

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 20:22:32 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Not without _any warning_. I'm only supressing the obsoletion warning. If you
>> remove a function you should in principle get another warning.
>
> That's true, but only after removing it.
>
> Suppressing obsoletion warnings in in-tree code is counter-productive,
> in my opinion.  (The exception is code in lisp/obsolete, of course.)

That's true.  But look, the real underlying problem we have in our code
that there is code in CEDET's idle.el that needlessly duplicates and
uses implementation detail of the ElDoc infrastructure.  The real fix to
this bug is _integration_, and integration is hard and takes time. 

In parallel, in my opinion, there is little point in having 0 warnings
globally.  Maybe that is the policy in the Emacs repo, but in my opinion
I'd rather investigate "positive deltas" in warning count.  The warnings
in this case point and mark the problem described above.  We could leave
them until someone (maybe CEDET's author) either does the integration
work, or moves idle.el to lisp/obsolete.

João