Subject: bug#42771: [PATCH] Disable tests for smalltalk and add candidate releases

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 15:30:11 +0100

Hi Holger,

Holger Peters <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/smalltalk.scm (smalltalk): disable tests
> (smalltalk-next): New variable.
> (smalltalk-next-from-vcs): New variable.

I have mostly two comments, as discussed on IRC (restating them here for
those following along):

  1. Instead of disabling tests wholesale, what we usually do is (1)
     investigate why the test is failing (I think it’s a single test
     failure here), (2) try to determine whether it’s serious or not,
     (3) see if we can work around it with reasonable effort, and if
     not, skip just this test.

  2. I think we should just have ‘smalltalk’ (latest release) and
     ‘smalltalk-next’ (VCS snapshot).  Having an extra package for the
     release candidate is not really useful IMO, and not something we
     generally do.

HTH!

Ludo’.