Subject: Re: bug#42768: emacs http://example.com

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 13:07:35 +0200

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

> In bug#40269 the emacs maintainers probably feel file:/// isn't so
> common, so not worth recognizing.
>
> But http, and https are certainly common.
>
> So how about emacs make an appropriate response when somebody does
> $ emacs http://www.example.com/

No, that would be rather confusing.

But you've reminded me that you can't use Emacs as a MIME handler for
URLs, and that should really be possible.

So I've added the trivial eww-browse command to Emacs 28.1, so that you
can now say

$ emacs -f eww-browse https://gnu.org

and register Emacs as a handler for the text/x-uri MIME type with

emacs -f eww-browse %u

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no