Subject: 26.3; project-find-regexp broken in Emacs 26.3

From: [email-masked] (Philip K.)
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 18:42:39 +0200

Hi,

after loading project.el into Emacs 26.3, I noticed that
project-find-regexp doesn't work, because the xref--show-xrefs function
has changed it's parameter interpretation. While project.el assumes it
accepts a function, 26.3's Xref assumes it will recieve a list
("xrefs"). There command then fails with a somewhat cryptic error
message, that probably doesn't make sense for Elisp programmers.

I managed to fix this by installing a newer Xref version from ELPA, but
I think this situation should be handled more gracefully. Is there a
reason that project.el doesn't depend on the newer Xref version?

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.13)
 of 2020-01-28 built on buildhw-09.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12008000
System Description:	Fedora release 32 (Thirty Two)

Recent messages:
0 new messages read
Parsing /home/phi/etc/mail/aliases... done
Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/enchant2 with default dictionary...
Error enabling Flyspell mode:
(Searching for program No such file or directory /usr/bin/enchant2)
Mark set
Quit
No expansion found
Quit
Mark set

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/phi/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9/flymake hides /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/home/phi/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.0/project hides /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/progmodes/project
/home/phi/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mail-extr pulse cl-print hi-lock windmove gdb-mi bindat
gud etags arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec cc-awk preview prv-emacs
tex-buf font-latex texmathp latex latex-flymake tex-ispell tex-style tex
dbus tex-mode org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win org-docview
doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-element
avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs conf-mode calc-misc
calc-alg calc-ext calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs dired-aux avy
files-x tramp-cache tramp-sh make-mode magit-bookmark magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-push
magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-collab ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub
url-http tls url-gw nsm url-auth gnutls magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func magit-diff smerge-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-process magit-margin magit-mode git-commit magit-git
magit-section magit-utils magit-popup crm log-edit pcvs-util add-log
with-editor async-bytecomp async server dash swiper bookmark flyspell
ispell nroff-mode char-fold misearch multi-isearch tabify imenu man
clang-capf sort ffap tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize parse-time advice whitespace help-at-pt jka-compr
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns xref find-dired grep
vc-mtn vc-hg macrostep-c cmacexp macrostep cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher project subr-x
shell pcomplete bang shr svg dom browse-url qp rmailmm message rmc puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 cl-extra time-stamp
paredit checkdoc help-mode flymake-proc flymake warnings init ivy delsel
colir color ivy-overlay edmacro kmacro rx pcase dired-x holidays
hol-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs erc-goodies erc thingatpt
erc-backend erc-compat format-spec gnus nnheader gnus-util time sendmail
rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils hippie-exp recentf tree-widget saveplace savehist paren
winner cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit ert pp find-func ewoc debug
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap compile comint ansi-color ring vc-fossil
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode elec-pair autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt dired
dired-loaddefs tex-site finder-inf slime-autoloads info package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars clang-rename clang-include-fixer
let-alist json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv clang-format
cl-macs gv xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 889607 199216)
 (symbols 48 62145 1)
 (miscs 40 4764 8433)
 (strings 32 199456 21078)
 (string-bytes 1 5733700)
 (vectors 16 95662)
 (vector-slots 8 2270580 109232)
 (floats 8 608 1112)
 (intervals 56 40233 4024)
 (buffers 992 91))