Subject: bug#42762: GREP does not support Unicode

From: Shlomi Fish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2020 18:16:11 +0300

Hi Carlo!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 15:13:40 +0200
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Its 2020.
> 
> GREP really should support Unicode. (UTF-16, UTF-8, with and without
> signature) Format recognition wouldn't have to be automatic; command line
> switches would be sufficient.
> 

From what I recall gnu grep has supported UTF-8 and unicode for years. E.g:

«
shlomif[homepage]:$trunk$ rg -n 'שלום' src/humour/fortunes/shlomif.xml
8120:the Hebrew Wikipedia. סעי לשלום - המפתחות בפנים!
8690:<saying who="rindolf">archmint: שלום!</saying>
shlomif[homepage]:$trunk$ grep -n 'שלום' src/humour/fortunes/shlomif.xml
8120:the Hebrew Wikipedia. סעי לשלום - המפתחות בפנים!
8690:<saying who="rindolf">archmint: שלום!</saying>
shlomif[homepage]:$trunk$ grep --version
grep (GNU grep) 3.4
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Mike Haertel and others; see
<https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/grep.git/tree/AUTHORS>.
shlomif[homepage]:$trunk$ uname -a
Linux telaviv1.shlomifish.org 5.7.12-desktop-1.mga8 #1 SMP Sat Aug 1 21:39:47
UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux shlomif[homepage]:$trunk$ 
»

note that "שלום" is the hebrew spelling of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalom
.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> I am using version Git for Windows v2.25.0
> 
> Kind regards
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

-- 

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/New-versions-of-the-GPL/

Wikipedia has a page about everything including the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_sink .

    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - https://shlom.in/reply .