Subject: [bug#42752] [PATCH core-updates] gnu: bash: Make completions work in non-login shells.

From: Jakub Kądziołka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 16:41:41 +0200

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:25:12AM +0200, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
> 
> Hey Jakub,
> 
> > Currently, /etc/bashrc is only loaded by /etc/profile. Because the
> > former is responsible for setting up command-specific completions, they
> > currently only work in login shells. This patch configures bash to load
> > /etc/bashrc in interactive non-login shells, as by default no
> > system-wide configuration is loaded.
> 
> /etc/bashrc is also loaded by ~/.bashrc in "default-skeletons". So your
> patch would cover the case of an interactive, non-login shell run by a
> logged in user without the default ~/.bashrc file, right?

Oh! It seems I overwrote it with my own .bashrc when I migrated my
dotfiles. I still think this patch is a good idea - I think we should
make /etc/skel/.bashrc contain only nice-to-have defaults, such as
changing the prompt based on $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT, and move the essential
things to /etc/bashrc. That way, overwriting the .bashrc won't break
anything important.

I guess I should follow this patch up with an adjustment to
/etc/skel/.bashrc, removing the 'source /etc/bashrc' line?

Regards,
Jakub Kądziołka