Subject: bug#42748: closed (Re: bug#42748: 26.3; Should `move-(beginning|end)-of-line' be in the Elisp manual?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 08:27:01 +0000

Your bug report

#42748: 26.3; Should `move-(beginning|end)-of-line' be in the Elisp manual?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42748: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42748
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42748: 26.3; Should `move-(beginning|end)-of-line' be in the Elisp manual?
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 11:25:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 09:40:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> (elisp) `Text Lines' documents `(beginning|end)-of-line'.  It doesn't
> document `move-(beginning|end)-of-line'.  The Emacs manual documents
> the latter and not the former.  Is this the best approach, or did the
> Elisp manual perhaps just not get updated when `C-a' and `C-e' were
> changed to use the `move-*' commands?

It looks like Lisp programs use beginning-of-line and end-of-line
overwhelmingly more than the move-* counterparts, so it seems like the
discrepancy is actually justified.

So I'm closing this bug report.

Subject: 26.3; Should `move-(beginning|end)-of-line' be in the Elisp manual?
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 09:40:23 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(elisp) `Text Lines' documents `(beginning|end)-of-line'.  It doesn't
document `move-(beginning|end)-of-line'.  The Emacs manual documents
the latter and not the former.  Is this the best approach, or did the
Elisp manual perhaps just not get updated when `C-a' and `C-e' were
changed to use the `move-*' commands?

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18362
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''