Subject: [bug#42736] [PATCH] gnu: emacs-doom-themes: Update to 2.1.6-5.

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 22:09:39 -0400 (EDT)

>> On Thu, 6 Aug 2020, Brett Gilio wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Hey Jack,
>>>
>>> Thanks for taking time to revise this package. When I originally wrote
>>> it I made notice to the fact that some elisp bytecompilations were
>>> failing or not behaving appropriately. Since then I am pretty sure
>>> hlissner has disabled the bytecompilation completely? Could you review
>>> this for me, and if true please revise the appropriate arguments. If you
>>> aren't sure what I am talking about, please let me know.

Brett,

I think the way forward is to follow upstream's choices and not enable or 
disable byte compilation in Guix.

After upstream introduced commit 9cd6872 [0], our trick to selectively 
leave batch compilation enabled for some files didn't work because they 
already had `-*- no-byte-compile: t; -*-` at the top of the file. In my 
testing, I added a phase to substitute this away. Indeed, this allowed our 
trick to work again. However, the material, snazzy, and tomorrow-day 
themes now have problems with byte compilation.

Therefore, I removed the disable-breaking-compilation phase entirely. With 
it removed, doom-themes-autoloads.el, doom-themes-base.el, doom-themes.el, 
doom-themes-ext-org.el, and doom-themes-ext-visual-bell.el do get byte 
compiled. From this evidence I concluded that upstream is aware of this 
issue and is only disabling byte compilation where necessary.

I'll send a version 2 of the patch with the phase removed shortly.

[0] https://github.com/hlissner/emacs-doom-themes/commit/9cd6872b1af88165834230abd45743036861f925

Best,
Jack