Subject: bug#42733: 27.1; json-serialize doesn't not encode list like json-encode

From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 23:17:47 +0100

Reproduction:

(json-encode '("foo" "bar"))
=> "[\"foo\",\"bar\"]"

(json-serialize '("foo" "bar"))

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp "foo")
  json-serialize(("foo" "bar"))

The potential for people to naively substitute json-encode with
json-serialize and breaking their code is enormous. This is already
happening in lsp-mode. Please make json-serialize behave like
json-encode.

Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.6 (Build 19G73))
 of 2020-07-30 built on MobileCat.local
Repository revision: d024fc141bab0b8d3400dc6b53eac1ed199ddb1f
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.6

Recent messages:
Back to top level
Entering debugger...
"[1,2,3]"
[1 2 3]
"[1,2,3]"
"[\"foo\",\"bar\"]"
Back to top level
Send this bug report to the Emacs maintainers? (y or n) n
report-emacs-bug-hook: M-x report-emacs-bug was canceled, please read *Bug Help* buffer
line-move-visual: Beginning of buffer
user-error: No window right from selected window
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --without-dbus --without-gconf
 --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gpm --with-gnutls
 --with-xml2 --with-modules --infodir /opt/local/share/info/emacs
 --with-json --without-harfbuzz --with-ns --with-lcms2
 --with-imagemagick --with-rsvg 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os
 -isysroot/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk
 -arch x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk
 -arch x86_64''

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  flycheck-pos-tip-mode: t
  projectile-rails-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-local-mode: t
  purpose-mode: t
  imenu-list-minor-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  company-flx-mode: t
  dap-tooltip-mode: t
  dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
  dap-ui-controls-mode: t
  dap-ui-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: deferred
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  dap-auto-configure-mode: t
  dap-mode: t
  crm-custom-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  smooth-scrolling-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  rxt-global-mode: t
  rxt-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  global-whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  global-tree-sitter-mode: t
  global-origami-mode: t
  origami-mode: t
  global-move-dup-mode: t
  move-dup-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  company-statistics-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-save-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  amx-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20190710.1319/cmake-mode
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/xref-1.0.1/xref hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/xref
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.0/project hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/project
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9/flymake hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/Users/wyuenho/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.8.0/eldoc hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(undo-fu shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail tabify cl-print
misearch multi-isearch visual-regexp-steroids visual-regexp autoload
jka-compr helpful trace edebug info-look elisp-refs loop two-column
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons lsp-origami
lsp-completion lsp-diagnostics lsp-modeline view lsp-sqls lsp-yaml
lsp-xml lsp-vhdl lsp-vetur lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-terraform
lsp-solargraph lsp-serenata lsp-rust lsp-python-ms lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh
lsp-perl lsp-json lsp-intelephense lsp-haxe lsp-go lsp-gdscript
lsp-fsharp lsp-eslint lsp-erlang lsp-elm lsp-css lsp-csharp lsp-clojure
lsp-clients dired-hide-dotfiles vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs diff-hl-dired dired-collapse dired-hacks-utils
company-web-html company-web company-css web-completion-data emmet-mode
web-mode smart-semicolon add-node-modules-path css-mode smartparens-html
sgml-mode eww mm-url gnus nnheader url-queue shr svg xml dom vc-git
flycheck-pos-tip flycheck-pyre python-black py-isort python-docstring
smartparens-python python tramp-sh docker-tramp tramp-cache tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat ls-lisp
projectile-rails rake inflections inf-ruby smartparens-ruby ruby-mode
smie autoinsert projectile company-quickhelp pos-tip company-keywords
company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-yasnippet company-capf
company-emoji company-emoji-list company-files company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template rainbow-mode elisp-def ert debug backtrace
display-line-numbers cap-words superword subword smartparens-config
smartparens-javascript smartparens-org smartparens-markdown
smartparens-text smartparens-c form-feed editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch solarized-dark-theme
solarized-theme solarized solarized-faces spaceline-config
spaceline-segments spaceline powerline powerline-separators
powerline-themes hideshow beginend window-purpose-x shut-up
window-purpose window-purpose-fixes window-purpose-prefix-overload
window-purpose-switch window-purpose-layout window-purpose-core
window-purpose-configuration eieio-compat window-purpose-utils
imenu-list windmove magit-lfs magit-todos hl-todo org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs forge-list forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic bug-reference
forge-post forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite
emacsql emacsql-compiler diff-hl-flydiff ediff-merg ediff-mult
ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dumb-jump popup
rg rg-info-hack rg-menu rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history
rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs grep swift-mode
swift-mode-imenu swift-mode-repl swift-mode-beginning-of-defun
swift-mode-font-lock swift-mode-standard-types swift-mode-indent
swift-mode-lexer yard-mode poly-markdown polymode poly-lock
polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base
json-mode json-reformat json-snatcher js cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
reformatter parse-time iso8601 flycheck-objc-clang cl-lib-highlight
eterm-256color term disp-table ehelp xterm-color native-complete
company-lsp company-flx dap-lldb dap-mouse dap-ui dap-ui-repl
lsp-treemacs lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface
treemacs-extensions treemacs-persistence treemacs-mouse-interface
treemacs-tag-follow-mode treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-tags
treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture ace-window
avy treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros gdb-mi gud
bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history bui-button
bui-utils lsp-lens dap-python dap-mode posframe dap-overlays
lsp-sourcekit lsp-jedi lsp lsp-mode lsp-protocol xref project spinner
markdown-mode color noutline outline lv inline ht f em-glob esh-util
dash-functional compile bindat tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build
tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode pp tree-sitter-hl yasnippet-snippets
yasnippet crm-custom pager-default-keybindings pager browse-kill-ring
delight use-package-bind-key use-package-delight osx-trash bind-key
exec-path-from-shell quelpa-use-package use-package-core quelpa lisp-mnt
help-fns radix-tree mm-archive gnutls network-stream url-http url-gw nsm
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap winner which-key
smooth-scrolling smartparens thingatpt paren savehist saveplace pcre2el
rxt re-builder recentf tree-widget mb-depth ido-vertical-mode
ido-completing-read+ memoize cus-edit wid-edit minibuf-eldef
icomplete-vertical help-at-pt whitespace-cleanup-mode whitespace
tree-sitter tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tree-sitter-core
tree-sitter-dyn tree-sitter-dyn-get dired-aux origami origami-parsers
move-dup magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
magit-mode git-commit transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm
log-edit message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor cl-extra
shell pcomplete comint ring server hl-line flycheck ansi-color find-func
help-mode dash diff-hl vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode
flx-ido flx ido icomplete editorconfig desktop frameset delsel
company-statistics company pcase auto-compile packed async-bytecomp
advice async amx s cus-start cus-load finder-inf edmacro kmacro rx cl
info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json
subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1421509 540949)
 (symbols 48 65724 54)
 (strings 32 321417 88062)
 (string-bytes 1 8900750)
 (vectors 16 226691)
 (vector-slots 8 5366473 762388)
 (floats 8 1135 2969)
 (intervals 56 11183 4313)
 (buffers 1000 64))