Subject: Re: bug#42716: building adns 1.6 on FreeBSD fails

From: Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 22:13:10 +0100

Hi.  This is a very long time ago now, but:

> The hsyscalls.h file generated from regress/hsyscalls.h.m4 and
> regress/hsyscalls.i4 seems to add a superflous 'comma' at
> the end of most calls in that and other files, like this:
>
> int Hselect(    int max , fd_set *rfds , fd_set *wfds , fd_set *efds ,
> struct timeval *to ,     );

They look correct to me when I generate them here.  I looked at the m4
code.  I think `hm_args_massage` at the top of hmacros.i4 is trying to
strip trailing commas.  Frankly, that code (which I must have written)
is quite opaque to be now...

I conjecture that:

 1. This works in GNU m4, but you are building with FreeBSD's m4
 2. Previously this worked for you only because adns prior to 1.6
    shipped copies of the m4 output.

If my guesses are righyt, you can probably fix it by building with GNU
m4.  If so, please let me know and I will add something to the docs.

Otherwise, I'm mystified.

Thanks,
Ian.

-- 
Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>   These opinions are my own.  

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.