Subject: bug#42685: closed (Re: bug#42685: 26.3; Crash on startup)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 02:32:01 +0000

Your bug report

#42685: 26.3; Crash on startup

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42685: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42685
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42685: 26.3; Crash on startup
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Unknown <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 05:31:24 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Unknown <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 23:48:22 +0200
> 
> Start up emacs with emacs -Q immediately terminates with a segfault.
> 
> Backtrace:
> 
> #0  0x000000000053a44c in best_xim_style (xim=0x0) at xfns.c:2540
> #1  0x000000000053a509 in create_frame_xic (f=0x130fc30
> <bss_sbrk_buffer+8426864>) at xfns.c:2570

Thanks, this is bug#42676, which was fixed yesterday.

Subject: 26.3; Crash on startup
From: Unknown <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 23:48:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Start up emacs with emacs -Q immediately terminates with a segfault.

Backtrace:

#0  0x000000000053a44c in best_xim_style (xim=0x0) at xfns.c:2540
#1  0x000000000053a509 in create_frame_xic (f=0x130fc30
<bss_sbrk_buffer+8426864>) at xfns.c:2570
#2  0x000000000053b242 in x_window (f=0x130fc30
<bss_sbrk_buffer+8426864>) at xfns.c:3101
#3  0x000000000053da55 in Fx_create_frame (parms=16251171) at
xfns.c:3917
#4  0x000000000061cf20 in funcall_subr (subr=0x75c200
<Sx_create_frame>, numargs=1, args=0x7fffffffabd8) at eval.c:2848
#5  0x000000000061caf5 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffabd0) at
eval.c:2773
#6  0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8192364,
vector=8192397, maxdepth=54, args_template=1026, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffb0d0) at bytecode.c:630
#7  0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8192317, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffb0c8) at eval.c:2974
#8  0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb0c0) at
eval.c:2775
#9  0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=23605060,
vector=12165093, maxdepth=14, args_template=1030, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffb6e0) at bytecode.c:630
#10 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=17657685, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffb6d8) at eval.c:2974
#11 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb6d0) at
eval.c:2775
#12 0x000000000061ba4f in Fapply (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb6d0) at
eval.c:2350
#13 0x000000000061ce29 in funcall_subr (subr=0xa6e500 <Sapply>,
numargs=2, args=0x7fffffffb6d0) at eval.c:2828
#14 0x000000000061caf5 in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=0x7fffffffb6c8) at
eval.c:2773
#15 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=21193828,
vector=17461109, maxdepth=62, args_template=514, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffbbe0) at bytecode.c:630
#16 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=22007749, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffbbe0) at eval.c:2974
#17 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffbbd8) at
eval.c:2775
#18 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8773940,
vector=8773973, maxdepth=54, args_template=1026, nargs=1,
args=0x7fffffffc158) at bytecode.c:630
#19 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8773877, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffc150) at eval.c:2974
#20 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffffc148) at
eval.c:2775
#21 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8770884,
vector=8770917, maxdepth=26, args_template=2, nargs=0,
args=0x7fffffffc610) at bytecode.c:630
#22 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8770837, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffc610) at eval.c:2974
#23 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fffffffc608) at
eval.c:2775
#24 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8805700,
vector=8805733, maxdepth=86, args_template=2, nargs=0,
args=0x7fffffffd1e8) at bytecode.c:630
#25 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8805653, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffd1e8) at eval.c:2974
#26 0x000000000061cb3b in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fffffffd1e0) at
eval.c:2775
#27 0x000000000066df50 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=8802260,
vector=8802293, maxdepth=50, args_template=2, nargs=0,
args=0x7fffffffd7d0) at bytecode.c:630
#28 0x000000000061d5f5 in funcall_lambda (fun=8802213, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0x7fffffffd7d0) at eval.c:2974
#29 0x000000000061d340 in apply_lambda (fun=8802213, args=0, count=4)
at eval.c:2910
#30 0x000000000061b6a9 in eval_sub (form=18614563) at eval.c:2283
#31 0x000000000061aa81 in Feval (form=18614563, lexical=0) at
eval.c:2058
#32 0x000000000056d582 in top_level_2 () at keyboard.c:1119
#33 0x00000000006192e4 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x56d55d
<top_level_2>, handlers=21120, hfun=0x56cfd5 <cmd_error>) at
eval.c:1336
#34 0x000000000056d5ca in top_level_1 (ignore=0) at keyboard.c:1127
#35 0x0000000000618b83 in internal_catch (tag=51456, func=0x56d584
<top_level_1>, arg=0) at eval.c:1101
#36 0x000000000056d4a7 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1088
#37 0x000000000056cb8f in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:695
#38 0x000000000056cd1d in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:766
#39 0x000000000056a73f in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffdd38) at
emacs.c:1722

Reported independently here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=257869

Author suggests the reason being an update of libX11 from 1.6.9 to
1.6.10. Bug does not trigger with "emacs -nw".

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.21)
 of 2020-08-02 built on myhost
System Description:	Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
 -g -O0 -fvar-tracking-assignments
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/christoph/Downloads/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils term/xterm xterm
time-date elec-pair mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-
hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 100124 6055)
 (symbols 48 20503 1)
 (miscs 40 34 94)
 (strings 32 28676 1301)
 (string-bytes 1 748269)
 (vectors 16 12598)
 (vector-slots 8 460529 7536)
 (floats 8 54 688)
 (intervals 56 231 0)
 (buffers 992 12))