Subject: Re: [bug#42682] [PATCH 2/2] gnu: Add qmk-cli.

From: Jan Wielkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 14:22:40 +0200

Dnia 2020-08-05, o godz. 11:17:43
Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> napisał(a):

> 
> Hello Jan,
> 
> >> Do we really need to propagate all those inputs?
> > The python dependencies were added to propagated inputs
> > automatically by "guix import". The other tools are needed in the
> > user profine, because qmk-cli uses them, for example it fetches qmk
> > firmware from git, it runs some *python stuff* and when user is
> > done making changes to their firmware, qmk cli builds the firmware
> > using the compiler and flashes it using dfu.
> 
> Turns out qmk_cli is just a wrapper around qmk_firmware. It clones qmk
> firmware repository because it cannot locate a qmk_firmware directory
> using QMK_HOME variable.
> 
> I think the proper way to do things would be to package qmk_firwmare
> first (it has a root shell.nix file that should help). Then this
> package would define QMK_HOME using "search-paths".
> 
> This way, qmk_cli would just require some python libraries, but would
> not propagate git, and the toolchains.
> 
> Does it make sense?

But the entire point of qmk firmware is that the user configures it. I
had to modify the source code to make my keyboard work and add some
extra features like layouts, special keys. Your solution will only work
for the unmodified and default firmware, or is there a Guix solution
for it I'm not aware of, like a convenient interface for user defined
packages?

> Thanks,
> Mathieu