Subject: [bug#42682] [PATCH 2/2] gnu: Add qmk-cli.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 11:17:43 +0200

Hello Jan,

>> Do we really need to propagate all those inputs?
> The python dependencies were added to propagated inputs automatically
> by "guix import". The other tools are needed in the user profine,
> because qmk-cli uses them, for example it fetches qmk firmware from
> git, it runs some *python stuff* and when user is done making changes
> to their firmware, qmk cli builds the firmware using the compiler and
> flashes it using dfu.

Turns out qmk_cli is just a wrapper around qmk_firmware. It clones qmk
firmware repository because it cannot locate a qmk_firmware directory
using QMK_HOME variable.

I think the proper way to do things would be to package qmk_firwmare
first (it has a root shell.nix file that should help). Then this package
would define QMK_HOME using "search-paths".

This way, qmk_cli would just require some python libraries, but would
not propagate git, and the toolchains.

Does it make sense?

Thanks,

Mathieu