Subject: OS X 10.9 and "error: libtool: no output file specified"

From: Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 16:43:03 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to build libtool-2.4.6 on a PowerBook with OS X 10.9. Make
is failing with:

$ make V=1
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make  all-recursive
Making all in .
/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=link clang  -g2 -O2 -march=native
-fPIC -pthread -module -avoid-version -L/usr/local/lib
-Wl,-rpath,@loader_path/../lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -o
libltdl/dlopen.la  libltdl/loaders/dlopen.lo  -ldl -lpthread
libtool: link: libtool cru libltdl/.libs/dlopen.a libltdl/loaders/.libs/dlopen.o
error: libtool: no output file specified (specify with -o output)
Usage: libtool -static [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]]
[-arch_only arch] [-sacLT] [-no_warning_for_no_symbols]
Usage: libtool -dynamic [-] file [...] [-filelist listfile[,dirname]]
[-arch_only arch] [-o output] [-install_name name]
[-compatibility_version #] [-current_version #] [-seg1addr 0x#]
[-segs_read_only_addr 0x#] [-segs_read_write_addr 0x#]
[-seg_addr_table <filename>] [-seg_addr_table_filename
<file_system_path>] [-all_load] [-noall_load]
make[2]: *** [libltdl/dlopen.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I think it is using Apple's libtool, and not glibtool.

I configured with 'LIBTOOL=$(command -v glibtool)' in the environment
and '--program-prefix=g':

$ cat config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by GNU Libtool configure 2.4.6, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69.  Invocation command line was

  $ ./configure --build=x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 --prefix=/usr/local
--libdir=/usr/local/lib --enable-static --enable-shared
--enable-ltdl-install --program-prefix=g
...

LIBTOOL value is:

$ command -v glibtool
/opt/local/bin/glibtool

Jeff