Subject: bug#42657: closed (Re: bug#42657: emacs-27.1-rc1 and Asan findings)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 23:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42657: emacs-27.1-rc1 and Asan findings

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42657: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42657
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42657: emacs-27.1-rc1 and Asan findings
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 16:43:59 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> How does one tell the good leaks from the bad leaks?

In Emacs 27 please don't bother, as nobody had gotten around to marking leaks. 
Since this bug report is about Emacs 27 I'm taking the liberty of closing it.

In the master branch we have marked leaks. I just built it with ./configure 
CC='gcc -fsanitize=address' and 'make check' worked for me on Fedora 31 x86-64. 
If you find a leak I suggest deciding whether the leak is worth worrying about 
and then either plugging the leak or marking it as OK.

Subject: emacs-27.1-rc1 and Asan findings
From: Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 16:22:52 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I don't have log files for Asan testing. The process is killed before
the log file gets written.

I think just about every test failed similar to:

=================================================================
==18430==ERROR: LeakSanitizer: detected memory leaks

Direct leak of 16 byte(s) in 1 object(s) allocated from:
    #0 0x7f4408236d28 in __interceptor_calloc
(/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasan.so.4+0xded28)
    #1 0x56126c6f40a5 in dump_mmap_contiguous_heap
/home/jwalton/Build-Scripts/emacs-27.1/src/pdumper.c:4684
    #2 0x56126c6f40a5 in dump_mmap_contiguous
/home/jwalton/Build-Scripts/emacs-27.1/src/pdumper.c:4868
    #3 0x56126c6f40a5 in pdumper_load
/home/jwalton/Build-Scripts/emacs-27.1/src/pdumper.c:5428
    #4 0x56126c47e1d2 in load_pdump
/home/jwalton/Build-Scripts/emacs-27.1/src/emacs.c:853
    #5 0x56126c47e1d2 in main
/home/jwalton/Build-Scripts/emacs-27.1/src/emacs.c:1062
    #6 0x7f4406512b96 in __libc_start_main
(/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6+0x21b96)

SUMMARY: AddressSanitizer: 16 byte(s) leaked in 1 allocation(s).