Subject: bug#42655: closed (Re: bug#42655: 27.1; iconify-frame on a Lucid build may stuck the frame)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 14:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42655: 27.1; iconify-frame on a Lucid build may stuck the frame

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42655: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42655
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42655: 27.1; iconify-frame on a Lucid build may stuck the frame
From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 16:23:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Naively, I can workaround this issue by checking for an iconified frame at
>> FocusIn:  this fixes this issue in both `emacs -Q` and my
>> custom Emacs session.
>
> That would be my next idea, so please go ahead and install this.  And
> thanks for all the footwork in investigating this issue.

Thank you for your guidance.  It was crucial.

Pushed fix into emacs-27 branch as commit
'Prevent from frozen frame after `C-z' in Lucid builds'
(3c4edfd85ee8f49e40715a400a1fc65950e07482)

Subject: 27.1; iconify-frame on a Lucid build may stuck the frame
From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 20:46:03 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

X-Debbugs-Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Severity: wishlist

* To reproduce

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a GUI session, with Emacs built with Lucid toolkit in a Linux machine,
do:
emacs -Q
C-z
;; select again the window displaying the Emacs GUI
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- You cannot insert characters in the *scratch* buffer.
- Normal movement, for intance, `C-n' or `C-f' doesn't work.

trick: `M-x' recovers the frame.

Unfortunately, when I start Emacs without the `-Q' flag, then this trick
doesn't work for me: the frame keeps unresponsive forever, and I have 2 choices:
1) Restart Emacs session (unaceptable for users).
2) Get 'blindly' (ie, without echo area feedback) a new frame:
C-x 5 b foo RET

* Expected behavior:

After `C-z' and select again the Emacs GUI you have a fully responsive
frame displaying the *scratch* buffer: you can insert characters and/or
move the cursor anywhere.

* Workaround:
Install gtk3-devel and build Emacs with GTK3 toolkit

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-08-01 built on calancha-pc.dy.bbexcite.jp
Repository revision: f54ddb0198640e38c1d34bf6031ff5117c117c85
Repository branch: emacs-27
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit [2 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer
scroll-up-command: End of buffer
Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44708 6402)
 (symbols 48 5984 1)
 (strings 32 16489 1646)
 (string-bytes 1 525028)
 (vectors 16 9267)
 (vector-slots 8 124678 11056)
 (floats 8 22 43)
 (intervals 56 212 0)
 (buffers 1000 11))