Subject: bug#4262 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#4262: 23.1 creates a very large initial frame in fvwm)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 01:05:54 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4262: 23.1 creates a very large initial frame in fvwm

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4262: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4262
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4262: 23.1 creates a very large initial frame in fvwm
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 20:58:42 -0400

Jan Djärv wrote (on Thu, 3 Sep 2009 at 18:30 +0200):

> I've attached a dropin replacement gtkutil.c for the trunk. It
> contains debug output.

So it turns out that this was already fixed in the trunk, by something
in your changes from the start of July. I don't know what I was doing
before when I said that both 23.1 and the trunk had this problem,
sigh.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Subject: 23.1 creates a very large initial frame in fvwm
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:32:14 -0400

I don't normally use fvwm, but this problem was pointed out to me.

This is on a RHEL5 system, using FVWM 2.4.20. It applies to both 23.1
and the current trunk, when built with the gtk toolkit. It does not
happen with the lucid toolkit. A gtk Emacs 22.3 does not have this issue.

The symptoms are that

emacs -Q

opens a very big initial frame, _much_ wider and taller than the size
of the desktop. After this, M-x make-frame creates normal-sized frames.

Using something like

emacs -Q -geometry 20x10

does not help. It looks as if the initial frame is very briefly at the
correct size, but then jumps to the much larger size. 22.3, or 23.1
with the lucid toolkit, do respect the geometry option.