Subject: Re: bug#42612: 28.0.50; Eshell: support setting working buffer like IELM

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 09:49:15 -0700

Hello Eli,

On Thu 30 Jul 2020 at 04:15PM +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 22:29:52 -0700
>>
>> Eshell's docs advertise it as a replacement for IELM, but one IELM
>> feature that Eshell doesn't have is an equivalent to C-c C-b, or,
>> ielm-change-working-buffer.  It would be great to have something like
>> this.
>
> Like "C-u M-x eshell RET"?
>
> If that's not what you wanted, then perhaps I don't quite understand
> what you meant by running Eshell in another buffer.

No, not what I had in mind.

In IELM you can type C-c C-b and select a buffer, and then when you eval
further sexps in *ielm*, it will be as if you used M-: with that other
buffer selected.  Useful for debugging a major or minor mode.

In Eshell the closest thing you can do is wrap your sexps in a
(with-current-buffer) form, or use (progn (set-buffer ...) ...), which
is less convenient.

-- 
Sean Whitton