Subject: bug#42602: Wrong (not-)casechars value for "polish" in ispell-dictionary-base-alist

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:52:47 +0200

>>> I don't understand this change.  Values above octal 377 cannot be
>>> right in the above regexps, because they are supposed to be in
>>> Latin-2 encoding, which is a single-byte encoding, and so can only
>>> handle values below octal 400.  How did you come up with those
>>> values?
>>
>> Basically, C-x = on a char, which gave me octal values.
>
> This gives you the Unicode codepoint, not its Latin-2 encoding.
> They are different.

So, it would work even if I would add "\999999999", because Emacs
would not recognize and simply ignore it, which means the only reason
it worked was explicitly set encoding (iso-8859-2)?

> The database in ispell.el uses Latin-2 encodings of Polish
> characters.

As base, but before ispell.el sends the string to the Aspell it
translates it to uft-8, right?  Because that's the only difference
between my custom "pl" dictionary and value of "polish" in
ispell-dictionary-alist.

> Native MinGW builds cannot use the UTF-8 encoding.

So, with my setup (not saying that it's the best one, it's just
current one, if there is a better one I can change), for Polish lang,
I have to define local dictionary with iso-8859-2 coding?

> So, do we have a problem to solve, or can this issue be closed?

If it's a problem of MinGW, and my setup, then I guess it's not an
Emacs problem, so yes, it can be closed.

S. U.