Subject: bug#4260: 23.1.50; tramp is loading unnecessarily

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:55:57 +0200

Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello!

Hi,

> Why is TRAMP loaded at all in some situation when I try to access a
> local file system?

Short answer:

Because partial completion is enabled by default in Emacs 23. It wasn't
in Emacs 22.

As workaround, you could place in your .emacs

  (setq completion-styles (delete 'partial-completion completion-styles))

Long answer:

See discussion in <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/29783>. I'll
still thinking about, how to disable Tramp loading when you just have
typed "/s TAB" or alike. The proposal of David sounds interesting (load
Tramp only when "/s: TAB" is pressed), but it raises new problems.

The current completion algorithm for methods, host names and user names
in Tramp completes only on the right-hand-side of a
delimiter. Completing "/s:" to "/ssh:" requires a new algorithm, I'm
working on.

> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>   Pete

Best regards, Michael.