Subject: bug#42588: closed (This issue is resolved by a change in Scryer Prolog)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 08:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42588: 27.0.50; Emacs shell differs from a terminal in unexpected ways

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42588: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42588
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: This issue is resolved by a change in Scryer Prolog
From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 09:59:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

A change was installed in Scryer Prolog that resolves this:

  https://github.com/mthom/scryer-prolog/issues/643

The system now works as expected in the Emacs shell.

Thank you a lot!
Markus

Subject: 27.0.50; Emacs shell differs from a terminal in unexpected ways
From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 22:44:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce this issue, please install Scryer Prolog in one of the ways
indicated in its source repository:

    https://github.com/mthom/scryer-prolog/

For example, use:

    $ cargo install scryer-prolog

Then, start Emacs with:

    $ emacs -Q

and start a shell with M-x shell RET. In the shell, invoke Scryer Prolog
and paste the following in the buffer:

    writeq('\
    '). % "\\\n" 

Scryer Prolog will answer with:

    caught: error(syntax_error(invalid_single_quoted_character),read_term/3)
    ?- caught: error(syntax_error(invalid_single_quoted_character),read_term/3)
    ?-

However, when I launch Scryer Prolog in any terminal application and
paste the exact same text, I get as response:

    ''   true.

So, the entire interaction reads, and is supposed to be:

    ?- writeq('\
    '). % "\\\n" 
    ''   true.

I expect the same result when posting this in the Emacs shell. However,
in the Emacs shell, the entire interaction is unexpectedly:

    bash-3.2$ ~/scryer-prolog/target/release/scryer-prolog 
    ?- writeq('\
    '). % "\\\n" 
    caught: error(syntax_error(invalid_single_quoted_character),read_term/3)
    ?- caught: error(syntax_error(invalid_single_quoted_character),read_term/3)
    ?- 

Could you please have a look, and if possible implement the behaviour of
the system terminal also in the Emacs shell?

Thank you a lot!
Markus

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.0.0, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2018-11-15 built on mt-mac
Repository revision: b4eb908f858284a7962851fd99c94598f76afa6f
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.2