Subject: Re: bug#42578: 28.0.50; [suggestion] allow dired-do-shell-command on directory line

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 21:34:48 +0300

Marco Wahl <[email-masked]> writes:

> What do you think about M-x dired-do-shell-command (typically bound to
> !) on a dired directory line also?
>
> Up to now one gets an error.

Does one actually?  Here's what I tried:

0. emacs -Q
1. C-x d / RET
2. ! ls RET

and *Shell Command Output* correctly lists the contents of /bin/.
The same also happens when I mark multiple directories, and in Emacs 27.

Could you please provide more information on the error you encounter,
and how to reproduce it?

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-07-28 built on thunk
Repository revision: 1b2fed81e1f79fd12bfb76adfa2a79d7ddbcaed0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native' --config-cache
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix