Subject: bug#42538: 28.0.50; tramp-test35-remote-path test timing out on macOS

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:02:41 +0200

Am Do., 30. Juli 2020 um 13:53 Uhr schrieb Michael Albinus
<[email-masked]>:
>
> Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Philipp,
>
> >> > As you see, Tramp is stalled for 19 seconds, and then the timeout kills
> >> > it. I will see whether I could rearrange the command sequence. Maybe
> >> > writing the temp file just in shorter chunks, or so.
> >>
> >> Could you pls check, whether the appended patch works for you?
> >
> > Thanks, that appears to work, at least the test now finishes
> > successfully within 13 seconds.
>
> OK, so I've pushed the patch to the master branch. It will also be
> merged into the emacs-27 branch after the release of 27.1.

Thanks!

>
> > However, now it looks like tramp-test29-start-file-process is timing out...
>
> Strange. The patch doesn't touch anything which is relevant for
> tramp-test29-start-file-process, AFAICT. OK, same procedure as very
> year: apply the appended patch to tramp-tests.el, and rerun the
> test. The debug buffer shall tell us more.
>

An update on this: I messed up the test numbers, it's actually the
test tramp-test28-process-file that times out. I've tried to apply a
similar patch (increasing the log level and using with-timeout), but
apparently it's stuck enough that none of the signals except SIGKILL
work any more. Here's the console output:

HOME=/nonexistent EMACSLOADPATH= LC_ALL=C
EMACS_TEST_DIRECTORY=/Users/p/Entwicklung/Emacs/master/test
"../src/emacs" --module-assertions --no-init-file --no-site-file
--no-site-lisp -L ":."  \
  -l ert  -l lisp/net/tramp-tests.el \
  --batch --eval '(ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit (quote
tramp-test28-process-file))'
Running 1 tests (2020-07-31 16:09:42+0200, selector `tramp-test28-process-file')
Tramp: Sending command `exec sh -i'
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `p'
timeout: sending signal TERM to command ‘make’

^Ctimeout: sending signal INT to command ‘make’
^\timeout: sending signal QUIT to command ‘make’

make[1]: *** [lisp/net/tramp-tests.log] Killed: 9
make: *** [lisp/net/tramp-tests] Quit: 3