Subject: bug#42538: 28.0.50; tramp-test35-remote-path test timing out on macOS

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 21:04:11 +0200

This is another follow-up to Bug#30700.  This time a specific TRAMP test
times out on macOS:

$ timeout -v 30m make -C test lisp/net/tramp-tests SELECTOR=tramp-test35-remote-path
  GEN      lisp/net/tramp-tests.log
Running 1 tests (2020-07-25 20:28:58+0200, selector `tramp-test35-remote-path')
timeout: sending signal TERM to command ‘make’
make[1]: *** [lisp/net/tramp-tests.log] Terminated: 15
make: *** [lisp/net/tramp-tests] Terminated: 15

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 67, x86_64-apple-darwin19.5.0, NS appkit-1894.50 Version 10.15.5 (Build 19F101))
 of 2020-07-25
Repository revision: 3b44829823f43d3736b8ec9db2258eeff7f6c16a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.5

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-xml2 --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --enable-checking=all
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF GIF PNG NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS
MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date phst skeleton derived edmacro
kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars mailcap subr-x rx gnutls puny seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dbus xml compile comint
ansi-color ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 69784 6183)
 (symbols 48 8650 1)
 (strings 32 23544 1597)
 (string-bytes 1 768670)
 (vectors 16 14151)
 (vector-slots 8 172559 7527)
 (floats 8 26 29)
 (intervals 56 206 0)
 (buffers 992 10))