Subject: bug#42535: 28.0.50; macOS test failure: echo-server-with-dns

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 12:22:00 +0200

>>>>> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 20:39:37 +0200, Philipp <[email-masked]> said:

    Philipp> This is another follow-up to bug#30700, this time about the test
    Philipp> echo-server-with-dns.

    Philipp> Test echo-server-with-dns backtrace:
    Philipp>   make-network-process(:name "server" :server t :noquery t :family ipv
    Philipp>   make-server("p")
    Philipp>   #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x19bcc38041173061>)()
    Philipp>   ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
    Philipp>   ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name echo-server-with-dns :documentation n
    Philipp>   ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector (not ...) :tests [... 
    Philipp>   ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable))) #f(co
    Philipp>   ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable)))
    Philipp>   ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
    Philipp>   eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
    Philipp>   command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/net/network-stream-t
    Philipp>   command-line()
    Philipp>   normal-top-level()
    Philipp> Test echo-server-with-dns condition:
    Philipp>     (error "p/0 nodename nor servname provided, or not known")
    Philipp>    FAILED   8/27  echo-server-with-dns (0.006517 sec)

    Philipp> In this case, this might be an issue with the macOS firewall: 'make
    Philipp> check' results in a few prompts whether incoming connections should be
    Philipp> accepted, and I've declined these prompts.

The test also assumes that (system-name) results in a resolvable name,
which is not always true (you can stick an entry in /etc/hosts to make
it true).

Robert