Subject: bug#42535: 28.0.50; macOS test failure: echo-server-with-dns

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 16:52:46 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 16:39:02 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Lars> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> localhost? But the next test already checks that. Is anyone still
    >> running any public echo servers?

    Lars> Isn't localhost hard-coded to 127.0.0.1/::1 and doesn't use the resolver
    Lars> at all?

Yes.

    >> If what you really want to test is "does DNS work", then
    >> src/process-tests.el already does that with 'network-lookup-address-info',
    >> which shares the actual lookup code with 'make-network-process'.

    Lars> No, I think that code really wants to check whether we can make a
    Lars> network process work with DNS, because that's a different code path than
    Lars> just network-lookup-address-info + make-network-process.

Then either we need to accept that this test can fail on some systems,
or we risk calling the wrath of <insert large internet company> down upon us by
putting one of their public servers in the test. Or we just use www.gnu.org

Robert