Subject: Re: bug#42499: [PATCH] Add Bytecode Offset information to Backtrace

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 12:32:43 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:08:29 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > If you disassemble one of the annotated functions, you can find the
> > instruction where the error occured.
> 
> Sounds useful, but probably somewhat less so since Emacs is moving to
> natively compiling Elisp in Emacs 28.  Does anybody else have an opinion
> here?

I don't think we should start dismissing .elc compiled files just
because native compilation is on the horizon.  Some users might
legitimately decide they don't want their Lisp natively-compiled, or
may be unable to do so because of the GCC version they have
installed.  We should continue supporting byte-compilation features
for the next few versions at least.

> > My copyright assignment is still pending so I assume this can't be
> > merged until I hear back from copyright-clerk.
> 
> This was in July, and I can't see your name in the copyright assingment
> file.  Did the assignment process stall?

I have an email from Craig in late August saying the disclaimer is
being submitted to legal.  Suggest to ping Craig about this.