Subject: bug#42497: 28.0.50; gnus: re-entering a group after gnus-group-get-new-news

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 00:03:07 +0200

Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

> Start gnus.
> Select a group X (gnus-group-select-group) with, say, 5 unread articles
> - get to the *Summary X* buffer.
> Switch back to *Group* buffer.
> Wait and hit g (gnus-group-get-new-news) repeatedly until X has more
> than 5 new articles (say, 7).
> Select X again (gnus-group-select-group) - you get the old *Summary X*
> buffer with 5 unread articles - not the 7.
> This behavior is understandable but not necessarily desirable.

I think it would be more surprising that a `g' changes what's in a
Summary buffer, really.  You may be working in that buffer and have
things sorted in a particular way, etc.

If you want to have the new articles inserted into the buffer, you can
use the `/ N' command in the summary buffer.

So I think this works as designed, and I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no