Subject: bug#42493: closed (Re: bug#42493: 28.0.50; eldoc error in IELM)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 20:10:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42493: 28.0.50; eldoc error in IELM

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42493: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42493
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42493: 28.0.50; eldoc error in IELM
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 22:09:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Mauro,

> I get the following eldoc error when using ielm: eldoc error:
> (void-function elisp-eldoc-documentation-function)
>
> I can reproduce it with the following recipe:
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. M-x ielm
> 3. Type a left parenthesis: (.
> 4. Emacs reports the error in the echo area.

Thanks for the report.  It should be fixed now.

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: 28.0.50; eldoc error in IELM
From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
To: bug-gnu-emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 14:00:39 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I get the following eldoc error when using ielm:
eldoc error: (void-function elisp-eldoc-documentation-function)

I can reproduce it with the following recipe:
1. emacs -Q
2. M-x ielm
3. Type a left parenthesis: (.
4. Emacs reports the error in the echo area.

I've bisected it, and it seems that the following commit introduced this
bug:
commit 1203626f472b0d99d2746f5999711137c0c1fd0c
Author: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Jun 6 14:04:48 2020 +0100

  Make more parts of Emacs use new Eldoc capabilities

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 31, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30,
cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-07-23 built on tbb-desktop
Repository revision: fcd43287b3d36a5706760d68b7d88502ebe43a47
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

Recent messages:
Source file ‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/emacsbug.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file
‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/text-property-search.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/epg-config.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/epa.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
i is undefined
log-view-current-file: Unable to determine the current file
l is undefined
eldoc error: (void-function elisp-eldoc-documentation-function)
Mark set

Configured using:
 'configure --with-xml2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE
XIM MODULES THREADS PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  global-ede-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr ielm emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch
add-log log-view pcvs-util cl-extra help-mode vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc deeper-blue-theme
init-org org-clock org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-social
newsticker newst-treeview tree-widget newst-plainview newst-reader
newst-ticker newst-backend iso8601 time-date xml derived init-cedet
ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/detect ede/base ede/auto ede/source
eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar ezimage dframe eieio-custom wid-edit
cedet init-octave init-rmail init-vc vc vc-dispatcher init-cc-mode
init-c init-yasnippet init-eshell eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util init-lisp slime
compile etags fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode
noutline outline easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec
thingatpt init-global finder-inf init-package info slime-autoloads
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 295841 15773)
 (symbols 48 23924 1)
 (strings 32 108085 2988)
 (string-bytes 1 2978600)
 (vectors 16 36342)
 (vector-slots 8 466361 21919)
 (floats 8 98 168)
 (intervals 56 1978 0)
 (buffers 992 14))