Subject: 28.0.50; eldoc error in IELM

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 14:00:39 -0300

I get the following eldoc error when using ielm:
eldoc error: (void-function elisp-eldoc-documentation-function)

I can reproduce it with the following recipe:
1. emacs -Q
2. M-x ielm
3. Type a left parenthesis: (.
4. Emacs reports the error in the echo area.

I've bisected it, and it seems that the following commit introduced this
bug:
commit 1203626f472b0d99d2746f5999711137c0c1fd0c
Author: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Jun 6 14:04:48 2020 +0100

  Make more parts of Emacs use new Eldoc capabilities

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 31, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30,
cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-07-23 built on tbb-desktop
Repository revision: fcd43287b3d36a5706760d68b7d88502ebe43a47
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

Recent messages:
Source file ‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/emacsbug.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file
‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/text-property-search.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/epg-config.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/epa.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
i is undefined
log-view-current-file: Unable to determine the current file
l is undefined
eldoc error: (void-function elisp-eldoc-documentation-function)
Mark set

Configured using:
 'configure --with-xml2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE
XIM MODULES THREADS PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  global-ede-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr ielm emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch
add-log log-view pcvs-util cl-extra help-mode vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc deeper-blue-theme
init-org org-clock org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-social
newsticker newst-treeview tree-widget newst-plainview newst-reader
newst-ticker newst-backend iso8601 time-date xml derived init-cedet
ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/detect ede/base ede/auto ede/source
eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar ezimage dframe eieio-custom wid-edit
cedet init-octave init-rmail init-vc vc vc-dispatcher init-cc-mode
init-c init-yasnippet init-eshell eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util init-lisp slime
compile etags fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode
noutline outline easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec
thingatpt init-global finder-inf init-package info slime-autoloads
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 295841 15773)
 (symbols 48 23924 1)
 (strings 32 108085 2988)
 (string-bytes 1 2978600)
 (vectors 16 36342)
 (vector-slots 8 466361 21919)
 (floats 8 98 168)
 (intervals 56 1978 0)
 (buffers 992 14))