Subject: bug#42483: 26.1: thing-at-point doesn't recognize org-link urls

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 20:15:37 +0100

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Another context in which something like this could be useful is
> emacs-w3m buffers, which are naturally full of links stored in text
> properties (or eww, i am guessing).

Yes, that's true -- it would certainly be nice if `(thing-at-point 'url)' 
worked in eww buffers (which it currently doesn't).

> A strategy i've seen elsewhere (in the embark package) for something
> similar is to keep a list of "target finders" that are applied in turn,
> until one succeeds returning, say, '(url . "http://foo/bar").  That's
> essentially what you're suggesting above, except that one can write
> global detectors (the list is not (necessarily) buffer local)

Yup.  Adding this sort of framework to thingatpt looks pretty trivial,
and sounds generally useful, so I'll take a stab at it (using eww as the
first test case).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no