Subject: Re: bug#42482: 27.0.91; emacs modules memory leak

From: Milan Stanojević <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 15:11:31 -0400

I backported the change to emacs-27 branch locally and tried a simple
test using our real-world emacs module against it and the change seems
to fix the memory leak. Our module (and the test I tried) is written
in ocaml (calls to/from emacs are via C bindings) and relies on
interplay between ocaml and emacs gcs to not leak memory, so that
working is a good sign.

Compared to emacs-26, it uses a bit more memory, but I think that is
expected. The main thing is that memory is stable.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 1:45 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 16:33:12 +0200
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> >
> > Am Do., 23. Juli 2020 um 16:29 Uhr schrieb Milan Stanojević
> > <[email-masked]>:
> > >
> > > Thank you for the quick fix.
> > > Is there a chance this also goes to emacs-27 branch so it can be in
> > > the emacs 27.1 when it gets released?
> >
> > I think backporting the fix should be fine, as the fix is rather
> > localized and fixes a regression. Eli?
>
> How well was it tested?  The change is not exactly trivial.  But if
> you are satisfied with the testing enough to have this in emacs-27,
> I'm okay with that.
>
> Thanks.