Subject: Re: [bug#42456] [PATCH] gnu: Rename python-hy to hy.

From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 09:44:32 -0600

Though I do not know much about hy, I do know the following:

- There are some libraries written in hy[0].

- There are tools written in hy specifically designed to handle hy.[1]

- Some hy libraries contain macros that I don't think compile into 
python. It looks at first glance like hyclib[2] and hyiter[3] are 
examples of such packages, though I have not confirmed.

- The libraries and programs I have found written in hy look like they 
would use python-build-system. If we see patterns in defining these 
packages, we can always provide a hy-build-system for convenience.

[0]https://libraries.io/search?languages=Hy

[1] https://libraries.io/github/hylang

[2] https://libraries.io/pypi/hyclb

[3]https://libraries.io/pypi/hyiter

On 7/24/20 7:13 PM, Brett Gilio wrote:
> we should justify moving Hy perhaps to its own module. I am
> not overly familiar with Hy, I know that it uses and is compatible with
> Python libraries (as Hy is mostly just sugar on-top of the Python
> runtime) but do Hy-specific libraries exist? If so, I think that would
> make the case for moving Hy to its own module even stronger.