Subject: Re: [bug#42455] [PATCH 1/1] gnu: ffmpeg: Add support for libgme.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 17:28:35 +0200

Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/video.scm (ffmpeg):
> [inputs]: Add libgme.
> [arguments]: Pass "--enable-libgme" to configure.

'libgme' appears to keep a reference to 'gcc':

$ guix size libgme 
store item                          total    self
/gnu/store/rn75fm7adgx3pw5j8pg3bczfqq1y17lk-gcc-7.5.0              178.5   107.3  59.1%    <--- this should not be here
/gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31              38.4    36.7  20.2%
/gnu/store/01b4w3m6mp55y531kyi1g8shh722kwqm-gcc-7.5.0-lib           71.0    32.6  18.0%
/gnu/store/483hgxdmnhh2jh471d0x3aywqrpfp36k-libgme-0.6.3           181.6     3.1   1.7%
/gnu/store/mmhimfwmmidf09jw1plw3aw1g1zn2nkh-bash-static-5.0.16       1.6     1.6   0.9%
/gnu/store/g2s5jfkfd4k973wb58476b1bbv9zpm6m-zlib-1.2.11             38.6     0.2   0.1%
total: 181.6 MiB

Thus adding it to ffmpeg would increase the closure size of ffmpeg by
more than 100MiB (compare 'guix size ffmpeg' and
'guix size libgme ffmpeg').

We should sort out that GCC reference first.