Subject: bug#42452: 27.0.91; hollow box cursor sometimes leaves artifacts

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 11:44:23 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since this happens for unknown reasons, most probably some misfeature
> of the X server, the change to use an explicit line thickness is a
> debugging device.  As such, it shouldn't be the default; instead,
> let's have a Lisp variable that gives the thickness, by default zero,
> and let users affected by this issue set the variable to whatever
> value that fixes the problem.

The patch fixes an issue under some X implementations, and doesn't seem
to have any negative effects (that I can see), so I've applied Rodon's
patch.

Allowing users to control the width of the lines sounds like a nice
feature, but I don't think anybody's requested it, so I'm not sure
holding up fixing this bug warrants waiting for that to be implemented.

It's easy enough to implement in xterm.c, but (for instance) the Windows
implementation uses FrameRect, which doesn't allow specifying the line
thickness?  I'd rather not have a feature divergence here.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no