Subject: bug#42434: closed (Re: bug#42434: Shell can't find basic system tools after massive garbage collection)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 06:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42434: Shell can't find basic system tools after massive garbage collection

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42434: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42434
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42434: Shell can't find basic system tools after massive garbage collection
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <[email-masked]>
To: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:38:02 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Brett Gilio <[email-masked]> writes:

> I haven't investigated this myself, but on more thought it may also have
> to do with some outdated environment variables. Did you happen to reboot
> your computer or restart your X/Wayland session anytime after deleting
> the old generations and running the garbage collector?
>
> Brett Gilio

I ran those commands again on two of my machines that run Guix System
and the problem no longer exists.

Closing.

Cheers,
Sergiu

Subject: Shell can't find basic system tools after massive garbage collection
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 23:09:09 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I run Guix System on my laptop and I wanted to free some space so I ran
all the cleaning stuff I could think of:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix package --delete-generations
guix gc --delete-generations
sudo guix system delete-generations
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

After running them all, I had troubles using some of the most basic
tools, like ls or rm. Other programs seemed fine (make, gcc, guix) as I
could compile my builds of dwm and st.

After I ran `guix system reconfigure` and I made sure my profile
contains all the software I need at the latest version by running `guix
package -m` on my manifest, everything went back to normal -- I could
use ls and rm again.

Sadly, I didn't gather more information as I didn't experiment much with
the broken system because I freaked out and tried to fix it as fast as
possible.

I don't know what to make of this. Brett Gilio suggested it may have
been a bad symlink job.

Cheers,
Sergiu