Subject: 28.0.50; browse-url-of-dired-file confusing messaging

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 21:34:02 +0200

Create a file /tmp/a.txt, and visit /tmp.
M-x browse-url-of-dired-file on the file.

Emacs will say:

File exists, but cannot be read

and then display the file in a text-mode buffer.

If you then go to the real a.txt buffer, Emacs will then say

/tmp/a.txt and file:///tmp/a.txt are the same file

All this is very confusing, because the doc string of the command is

--
In Dired, ask a WWW browser to display the file named on this line.
--

So it should just call `browse-url' on the file:// URL, and not do
anything about these buffers?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 8, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-07-19 built on xo
Repository revision: 17f646128f04e9e8590f0371026a14d516f21c63
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no