Subject: bug#42397: [PATCH 06/14] * lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc.el (eldoc-minibuffer-message): Fix indentation.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 06:40:32 +0300

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 23:52:44 +0200
> 
> >> I'll change that before pushing obviously.  And since this commit is
> >> already about *fixing* whitespace, I will also *adjust* the remaining
> >> lines to use the preferred style.
> >
> > Please only change the whitespace where you do make changes, for the
> > reasons mentioned above.
> 
> Just to make sure: I was talking about potentially changing other lines
> *within the same function* that I am already touching, and that is what
> I am not supposed to do, right?

Well, if those other lines are close to the ones you modify (i.e. the
function is small enough), perhaps you can do that as well.  It's a
judgment call: the important thing is not to make too many changes
that are outside of the main change's locus and only change the
whitespace.

> >> It might be time to revisit the decision to not fix indentation in
> >> bulk.  Since version Git 2.23 "git blame" can ignore the effect and
> >> presence of certain commits.
> >
> > I don't think we want to assume 2.23 yet.  I still use 2.10 on one of
> > my machines, and fencepost.gnu.org has 2.3.5(!).
> 
> One day, one day.

Yes, definitely.

> > I was talking about the responses.  The response goes to the address
> > in From and also to those in CC.  Thus, responding to messages sent by
> > you will always send you a copy, because you appear in From.
> 
> Are you talking about the responses that other humans write?  E.g when
> you reply to
> 
>   From: Jonas, Cc: Jonas
> 
> and you do a "reply all", then that results in
> 
>   To: Jonas, Cc: Jonas

Yes.

> Since I cannot find such a message, I assume you manually modified those
> messages before sending.

Right.  And that is a mild annoyance, because it makes responding
slower, and I need to pay attention to the address headers, something
I'd rather not do.

> My current understanding is that even if this is the case I don't really
> have a choice.  I need the messages that I send using "git send-email"
> to appear in my email client.  That only happens if I CC the message to
> me.  If that results in the replies to those messages arriving twice in
> my inbox, then that is unfortunate but the lesser evil.  (But please
> enlighten me if I still get something wrong.)

Can't you use BCC for that?  (I'm not familiar with "git send-email"
enough to tell if this is possible.)