Subject: bug#4239 closed by Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#4239: 23.1.50; Pause during Emacs startup with recentf-mode)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:50:07 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4239: 23.1.50; Pause during Emacs startup with recentf-mode

It has been closed by Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4239: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4239
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4239: 23.1.50; Pause during Emacs startup with recentf-mode
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:45:51 +0200

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> As expected, with your patches and my init file and recentf-file, there
> was now only a slight, certainly tolerable, pause after the "cleaning
> recentf-list" message, so for me this problem is fixed, at least as far
> as Emacs is concerned.

OK, I've committed the changes to the trunk.

>> So it shall be a ping towards the system bus: either the check for
>> bluez, or the check for zeroconf.

I've updated my fix slightly: for bluez and zeroconf, I do not ping
anymore. Instead of, there is a check just for the existence of the
service names on the system bus. There is no need to autostart the
services, if they do not run already.

> Steve Berman

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 23.1.50; Pause during Emacs startup with recentf-mode
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:35:47 +0200

1. Let ~/.emacs consist solely of this sexp:

   (custom-set-variables
    '(recentf-mode t))

2. Let recentf-list contain a Tramp-style ftp pathname, e.g. let
~/.recentf be the following (with a made-up ftp-address, but the problem
also arises with real addresses):

-------------8<-------------
;;; Automatically generated by `recentf' on Tue Jul  7 14:42:00 2009.

(setq recentf-list
      '(
        "/ftp:[email-masked]:/"
        ))

(setq recentf-filter-changer-current 'nil)


;; Local Variables:
;; coding: utf-8-emacs
;; End:
------------->8-------------

3. emacs -Q
=> There is a pause after the echo area displays the message "Cleaning
up the recentf list...", lasting more or less 30 seconds, during which
Emacs is completely unresponsive.  Then the pause ends, Emacs completes
startup and runs normally.

I have experienced this pause only with the first graphical Emacs
started after booting my machine, i.e. when started as above in a tty,
Emacs does not pause.  The first time I experienced the pause was with
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of
2009-06-23 on escher (my first build after the 23.1 branch), and it has
continued with every subsequent build, including my current one.  It
does not happen with GNU Emacs 23.0.94.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.14.4) of 2009-06-14 on escher (my last pre-branch build).

I initially reported this on emacs-devel and suspected the new Tramp
GVFS code, but Michael Albinus could not reproduce the problem.  See
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/111714 for our exchange.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.4 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2009-08-21 on escher
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10502000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t