Subject: Re: 23.1; --script prints loading messages

From: "Aaron S. Hawley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 16:37:28 -0400

I'm not an Emacs developer, but want to make a few comments.

I think Emacs does a pretty good job of keeping quiet.  I can
understand the frustration.  Especially because I have used Fedora and
seen the same messages.  When I've needed to use --batch (same as
--script), I would simply add the -Q or -q options to avoid seeing
such messages.  This had the potential secondary benefit of optimizing
the startup time for the Emacs batch process I was working on, as
well.

Perhaps, Emacs could be changed to mute messages that are part of the
site file or the init file when the --script option is used -- which
is the actual request.

But perhaps people interested in writing Emacs Lisp scripts should be
told to be especially careful to keep their site and user init files
quiet.

For example, the site-run-file file included with Emacs for Fedora
GNU/Linux  could be fixed:

--- site-start.el	09 Sep 2004 00:37:38 -0400	1.9
+++ site-start.el	23 Aug 2009 16:07:17 -0400	
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
 ;;; loaded before user's ".emacs" file and default.el

 ;; load ".el" files in "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/" on startup
-(mapc 'load
+(mapc (lambda (f) (load f nil 'nomessage))
       (directory-files "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d" t "\\.el\\'"))