Subject: bug#42365: 28.0.50; Eldoc misbehaves if eldoc-echo-area-use-multiline-p is not t

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 16:12:33 +0200

1. emacs -Q --eval "(setq eldoc-echo-area-use-multiline-p nil)" \
   some-emacs-lisp-file.el

2. Move point on something that triggers eldoc.

The result is that the first few lines of the current file are printed
in the echo area, not the documentation of the current thing at point.

You get the same broken behavior if you set
eldoc-echo-area-use-multiline-p to an integer.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 30, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2020-07-15 built on jiffyarch
Repository revision: 363f1d4d5e836d0b95242d5fa8b7f32af3411419
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
20200715T160045.098> Opening nntp server on ES...
20200715T160045.099> Opening nntp server on ES...done
20200715T160045.099> Reading active file from Gmane via nntp...
20200715T160045.099> Opening nntp server on Gmane...
20200715T160047.051> Opening nntp server on Gmane...done
20200715T160047.057> nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com
20200715T160047.955> Reading active file from archive via nnml...
20200715T160047.955> Reading active file from archive via nnml...
20200715T160047.956> Reading active file from archive via nnml...done
20200715T160047.956> Checking new news...done

Configured using:
 'configure --without-x --without-x-toolkit'

Configured features:
SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB XIM MODULES
THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  bug-reference-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cl-print help-fns radix-tree mule-util sort gnus-cite
mm-archive gnus-bcklg qp gnus-async gnus-ml hl-line nndraft nnmh rot13
utf-7 secrets dbus network-stream nnml nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp spam
spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg gnus-gravatar mail-extr gravatar
url-cache gnus-topic nnir gnus-registry registry eieio-base dns
th-private term/screen term/xterm xterm company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-bbdb paredit vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs display-fill-column-indicator auto-package-update
finder-inf generic logview datetime extmap bindat fish-mode cargo
cargo-process rust-mode web-mode disp-table eglot array jsonrpc ert pp
debug backtrace xref flymake-proc flymake mwheel compile hl-todo
aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
epa-file org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol
org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs dired-x dired-collapse dired-hacks-utils f s smtpmail-multi
smtpmail sendmail ecomplete yasnippet auto-dictionary flyspell ispell
tramp-smb tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat ls-lisp which-key highlight-parentheses company-restclient
know-your-http-well http-status-codes http-relations http-methods
http-headers company pcase raven project restclient forge-list
forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs
forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq
forge-issue forge-topic forge-post markdown-mode color thingatpt
noutline outline forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode
diff diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode git-commit
transient format-spec magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit
pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp advice async shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring server dash visual-filename-abbrev
use-package-diminish debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode mb-depth windmove elec-pair
regexp-opt rx recentf tree-widget cap-words superword subword saveplace
savehist paren smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
mailcap shr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util image svg xml dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search time-date
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro kmacro diminish cl-extra help-mode
use-package-ensure use-package-core info tool-bar package easymenu
browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 627732 73728)
 (symbols 48 47069 3)
 (strings 32 242219 14523)
 (string-bytes 1 7507122)
 (vectors 16 70888)
 (vector-slots 8 1156254 49090)
 (floats 8 528 636)
 (intervals 56 656 83)
 (buffers 992 24))