Subject: bug#42358: mv w/mkdir -p of destination

From: L A Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 15:36:56 -0700

Yeah, I'd thought about asking for this as well, like as maybe a "rmdir -r"
or rmdir -rp
where either the want of recursion implied going up to ancestors (since
decending along a chain
of directories would be a bit indeterminent, or requiring a redundant '-p',
as well, as it would tell the program to delete parents (since going down
wouldnt' make much since) from the dir specified back up to the current
directory.  If the current directory wasn't 'above' the specified dir, then
it would die
as it isn't clear what is wanted.  Obviously it can only follow a chain
'up' as long as nothing else is
in the parent besides the directory-parent (i.e. no other files or dirs).

But I've found asking for features usually doesn't work and sometimes
results in work to preclude future
implementation of the feature.  Reporting bugs also, often gets ignored
until some large company reports
the same problem or until it causes a serious enough security incident.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 8:17 PM Vito Caputo <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Does this already exist?
>
> Was just moving a .tgz into a deep path and realized I hadn't created
> it on that host, and lamented not knowing what convenient flag I could
> toss on the end of the typed command to make `mv` do the mkdir -p
> first for me.
>
> I was surprised to not see it in mv --help or mv(1) when I checked for
> next time...
>
> Regards,
> Vito Caputo
>
>