Subject: bug#42352: closed (Re: bug#42352: 27.0.91; Emacs daemon crashes after "Fix Arabic shaping" change 30a7ee505aca3cc285699bae1630a28185519d99)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 11:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42352: 27.0.91; Emacs daemon crashes after "Fix Arabic shaping" change 30a7ee505aca3cc285699bae1630a28185519d99

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42352: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42352
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42352: 27.0.91; Emacs daemon crashes after "Fix Arabic shaping" change 30a7ee505aca3cc285699bae1630a28185519d99
From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 14:05:01 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii [2020-07-14T13:20:34+03] wrote:

> Also, I wonder how you came to be affected by that change. Did you by
> any chance set bidi-display-reordering to nil in your buffers?

Yes, about four years ago I set bidi-display-reordering nil in my Emacs
init files. Now it seems to me that I used a wrong variable for what I
wanted to do. I should have set bidi-paragraph-direction left-to-right
which I did now.

It looks like Emacs is not crashing anymore so this was all my mistake.
Thanks for mentioning bidi-display-reordering. I'm closing this bug.

-- 
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. http://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/
// OpenPGP: 4E1055DC84E9DFF613D78557719D69D324539450

Subject: 27.0.91; Emacs daemon crashes after "Fix Arabic shaping" change 30a7ee505aca3cc285699bae1630a28185519d99
From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 12:43:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs daemon crashes when scrolling through a buffer. I believe it
happens when buffer is trying to display Arabic letters that are in my
mail summary buffer. I used "git bisect" and found that this is the
first "bad" commit:

    commit 30a7ee505aca3cc285699bae1630a28185519d99
    Author: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
    Date:   2020-06-05 10:56:01 +0300

        Fix Arabic shaping when eww/shr fill the text to be rendered

        * src/hbfont.c (hbfont_shape): Don't use DIRECTION if the current
        buffer has bidi reordering disabled.  (Bug#41005)

My Emacs daemon process is managed by systemd and the logs have this
backtrace:

    emacs[9121]: Backtrace:
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x1385b7)[0x55e55be3c5b7]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x437ff)[0x55e55bd477ff]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x43c3c)[0x55e55bd47c3c]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x136f88)[0x55e55be3af88]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x137009)[0x55e55be3b009]
    emacs[9121]: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x12730)[0x7f0c4b462730]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0xd8c80)[0x55e55bddcc80]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0xdcff2)[0x55e55bde0ff2]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz.so.0(+0x9b5be)[0x7f0c4b70d
    emacs[9121]: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz.so.0(hb_shape_plan_execute
    emacs[9121]: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz.so.0(hb_shape_full+0x46)[0
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x1fe65c)[0x55e55bf0265c]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x1a3c4b)[0x55e55bea7c4b]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x193a03)[0x55e55be97a03]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x1c7471)[0x55e55becb471]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x195fba)[0x55e55be99fba]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x19395f)[0x55e55be9795f]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x1c7471)[0x55e55becb471]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x195fba)[0x55e55be99fba]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x19395f)[0x55e55be9795f]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x192ed6)[0x55e55be96ed6]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x5f425)[0x55e55bd63425]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x6c8ff)[0x55e55bd708ff]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x1e94b3)[0x55e55beed4b3]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x1ec86b)[0x55e55bef086b]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x7879b)[0x55e55bd7c79b]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x78332)[0x55e55bd7c332]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x769f5)[0x55e55bd7a9f5]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x7e658)[0x55e55bd82658]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x83dfb)[0x55e55bd87dfb]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x97fba)[0x55e55bd9bfba]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x9bafb)[0x55e55bd9fafb]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x192d9a)[0x55e55be96d9a]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x67154)[0x55e55bd6b154]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x875bd)[0x55e55bd8b5bd]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x129c67)[0x55e55be2dc67]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x12c5bc)[0x55e55be305bc]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x12dbfc)[0x55e55be31bfc]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x192d02)[0x55e55be96d02]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x11fad4)[0x55e55be23ad4]
    emacs[9121]: /usr/local/bin/emacs(+0x192c81)[0x55e55be96c81]
    emacs[9121]: ...
    systemd[1044]: emacs.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEG
    systemd[1044]: emacs.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

-- 
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. http://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/
// OpenPGP: 4E1055DC84E9DFF613D78557719D69D324539450