Subject: [bug#42338] [PATCH] Add composer build system (PHP)

From: Charlie McMackin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 16:00:44 -0600

Hello,

I'm another user interested in this patch series. Thanks for carrying
it forward. I thought I would try it out myself and give feedback if I
discovered anything but I'm running into issues with the v5 patch
series:

1. When I run `git am -3` on the archive mbox for this patch series, I
have to skip patch 0 (empty) and then it fails on patch 0004 with;

Applying: guix: Add composer-build-system.
error: sha1 information is lacking or useless (Makefile.am).
error: could not build fake ancestor
Patch failed at 0004 guix: Add composer-build-system.

I'm trying to apply to a branch with HEAD at 61f2d84e75.

2. I am a bit new to applying patches from mail but I thought I could
resolve the problem if I knew where the branch began and applied
there. However, I am not able to find where this patch series branches
from. Should that information (the ancestor SHA1) be in the PATCH 0?
Is there something I'm missing with `git am` style patches?

3. Without any authority, making it `guix import packagist` sounds
reasonable to me given the existing patterns with other importers like
pypi and crate.

4. Do you plan to add a news.scm entry in the next patch series as
suggested by Ludovic?

I look forward to testing this out! Thanks,
Charlie