Subject: Re: bug#42334: 28.0.50; gnus-thread-sort-functions vs. loose threads

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 15:09:13 +0200

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> Understood.  It's not too annoying when reading news since I rarely have
> more than a screenful of summary for any given group, but it can get
> confusing when looking at archives: a recently updated subthread can be
> hidden several screens up because a sibling subthread is too old…
>
> I'll file this one under "don't hack on this unless I can spend a couple
> of days on it".  Thanks a lot for taking the time to pinpoint where the
> issue lies, that's really helpful!

It would be nice.  The thing is that it requires writing new versions of
all these functions:

           (choice (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-number)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-author)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-recipient)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-subject)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-score)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-random)
                   (function-item gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score)

The new versions would take gathered threads as the parameters instead
of real threads.  (Gathered threads are just lists of real threads, so
it's pretty straightforward.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no