Subject: bug#42313: [sr #108503] Running autoscan in a directory with ltmain.sh produces conflicting warnings with libtoolize about AC_PROG_RANLIB

From: Zack Weinberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:42:35 -0400 (EDT)

Update of sr #108503 (project autoconf):

                  Status:                    None => Invalid                
             Open/Closed:                    Open => Closed                 

    _______________________________________________________

Follow-up Comment #1:

This is a bug in libtool.m4, not in autoconf.  AC_PROG_RANLIB is not obsolete.
 Libtool's internal macro _LT_CMD_OLD_ARCHIVE inlines the definition of
AC_PROG_RANLIB, but there's no good reason for it to do this.  (Maybe a _very_
long time ago AC_PROG_RANLIB didn't use AC_CHECK_TOOL?  If so, it would have
been before the beginning of the VCS history in 2001, though.)

If I manually change _LT_CMD_OLD_ARCHIVE to do AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_RANLIB])
instead of what it does, then autoscan stops suggesting the addition of
AC_PROG_RANLIB.

I'll bounce this to the libtool maintainers.

    _______________________________________________________

Reply to this item at:

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?108503>

_______________________________________________
  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/